Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bon Voyage

The time has almost come for me to depart for Africa! On Friday I will board a plane and begin the 26 hour trek to Conakry, Guinea. I have felt so loved and supported by lots of people during this time of preparation. I am so thankful and humbled by the many people who have supported me financially. Thank you friends and family for your generous support and encouragement!

So where is Guinea? Many people have asked me this question, so I’ve had to brush up on my geography. It can get a bit confusing with four countries sharing the same name: Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, and Papau New Guinea (which is in the Pacific Ocean). I will be in French speaking Guinea for the entire 4.5 months while aboard the Africa Mercy Ship. The population of Guinea is about 10 million people with almost a quarter of the population residing in the capital city of Conakry. There are many medical needs in this country with only 1.3 healthcare workers for every 10,000 people. Here are a couple of maps showing the location of Guinea:
 

 
I will have access to the internet to update my blog and check email. If you’d like to send any letters please mail them to the address below. It will take about 2-3 weeks for mail to be forwarded to the ship. For anything over an ounce, I will be charged at a rate of $8.80 per lb (0.55 cents an ounce) to cover the shipping costs to the ship.

Emily Seamon/ AFM Crew Mail
PO BOX 2020
Lindale, TX 75771
 
I'd love to hear from you, so please keep in touch!

3 comments:

  1. I wish you the best Emily. You must be so excited about now. I am very proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best wishes for you Emily, so long without talking but...
    God bless you in this journey...

    with love,

    Selene
    Costa Rica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for this leg of your journey. Thank you for who you are.

    ReplyDelete