Sunday, March 10, 2013

Risky Business

After hearing so many words of caution over the years, it can be a bit unsettling to go against these revered words of advice. For example I’ve always avoided semi-trucks as much as possible. Now my walking path through the port has me weaving in and out of 18 wheelers driving past and occasionally backing up only a few inches in front of me.

The view from the Africa Mercy looking out towards the city,
 you have to walk through the multitude of 18-wheelers to get into the city.

By the way it turns out that a great place to nap and escape from the hot sun is to string a hammock underneath the semi-truck! Who knew?

I am used to nicely paved sidewalks in order to avoid cars. In Conakry there are few sidewalks. So I follow behind the lead of the Guineans in front of me who walk on the road as cars narrowly pass. I have realized that the idea of personal space or lack of it also carries over into driving a car. I’ve found they drive a lot closer than I’d personally like.
When crossing the street it feels like a game of leap frog trying not to get hit! You better not step out in front of a car because they will not be stopping for you! So I’ve thrown out the idea of crosswalks and cars yielding for pedestrians!

Leap frog anyone?

Buckle up or Ticket? Being a nurse I definitely know the value of seatbelts, but there are many times when there are no seatbelts to be found in the local taxis. So you don’t even have the option to buckle up, especially when the driver swerves crazily in and around other cars.

When in Africa how many people can fit into a taxi? The answer is “Always one more!” Don't forget, you can always stand on the back or top of the car too!
Why not catch a ride on top of the taxi next time?!?
Motrobikes are found all around the city. Helmets? No way. Children? Most definitely. It is common to see a whole family with mom, dad, child, and a baby on the bike. I watched one time as a father placed his 10 month old in front of him on the bike. Thankfully she grabbed a hold of the bike, but still a baby on a bike!

I definitely respect and see the reason for caution at times. Maybe we go a little overboard and become too protective in the States. Instead here in Guinea almost anything goes. So next time you think you see a crazy driver just imagine what it would be like if everyone drove like that at the same time with everyone swerving in and out of lanes.  It becomes risky business!

These things have started to become a little more normal in daily life, but at times I have to think that I would never do this back home! I guess this is part of life while living on a boat while docked at a port in Africa!

2 comments:

  1. This post is hilarious and gave me a bit of insight into life in Conakry! I'm probably going to Sierra Leone next year so I'll get to see some of this up close and personal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy to read about how things are so different over there. I don't even think about all of our "cautions" when driving and more...they are just built in subconsciously and are a part of our culture! I remember being a little shocked about how Australia and Slovakia are less cautious than us in the states but it sounds like Africa is even more so!! I loved the pics and your comments. Cracked me up friend :)

    ReplyDelete