Saturday, February 9, 2013

Saying Goodbye

Usually “a coming and a going” describes the changes happening in my own life, but I have found this is also a part of the transient life on the Africa Mercy as people constantly arrive and depart. It is amazing how many volunteers come to serve in numerous ways for various amounts of time, whether just a couple of weeks, months, or 20+ years while raising a family. Within just the last year there has been over 1,500 different people working and serving on the ship. That is a lot of coming and going!

I didn’t realize how hard it would be to constantly say goodbye! The past three weekends I have stood out on the dock and waved as friends drove off in the Land Rovers headed for the airport. It is strange to think that out of the eight of us who arrived on the same day only three of us remain here on the ship. I have now said goodbye to five of the ladies who I bonded with during the initial arrival along with many other friends too!

As friends travel to the airport, the Land Rovers will soon return with new arrivals who will fill the empty rooms and bunks. What an amazing opportunity to be able to meet so many people from all around the world. In any given week there are 33-36 different nationalities aboard the ship. Looking around the ship I am blessed to see the unity of so many cultures, countries, and people who all come to volunteer and serve aboard the Africa Mercy.
 
November 17th Arrival Group:
Emily (#2), Robyn, Melina, Emily (#3), Bethany, Me, Karin, and Michelle
(I didn't pick to be Emily #1, but we received the number based
on the order that everyone met the Emilys)

With my Swedish friend Karin at the
Brussels Airport which is where we all met!

No comments:

Post a Comment