Monday, December 10, 2012

Les Cascades de la Soumba

After only venturing out into the city of Conakry these last few weeks, I enjoyed traveling out of the city to see some of the countryside of Guinea! Along the way we spotted a couple of “mountains” on an otherwise fairly flat dusty ride as we traveled two hours north to the town of Dubreka.

As always traveling in Africa quickly turns into an adventure. Since our driver wasn’t certain of the exact location of the falls, he hired a local boy to show us the way on his motorbike. We were heading up and out of town past a tiny stream, eventually driving between people’s houses on what no longer appeared to be a road! Turns out we were definitely in the wrong place. In that small village we found another man who knew of the waterfalls; so he hopped on the back of the bike and the two of them eventually led us to Les Cascades de la Soumba.

As we stepped out of the car, the roaring sound of the waterfalls beckoned us up and over the stairs until we were greeted by the beautiful sight of the water rushing over top the rocks and down the stream! What an amazing sight to be in nature and enjoy the waterfalls.
It has only been a month since the rainy season finished, but I’ve been told the falls already have less water rushing over top than the previous couple of months. I’m glad I could see the falls now before the water stops cascading over the rocks by the end of the dry season in March/April. Here are some pictures from the day: 

It's a Mountain!


Welcome to Dubreka
  
While lost in the small town these cute kids came running up to our car!

Les Cascades de la Soumba


Enjoying the Falls


A closer look at the falls


My travel companions: Una, Jenny, Me, Jospeh our driver, and Robyn
 

3 comments:

  1. So happy to hear from you! Thinking of you always! Love, Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, I hope all is going well on the ship. I keep your card on my desk so I remember to pray for you and I really enjoyed catching up on your blog just now. I'm sure you will miss your family at Christmastime, but I'm also sure that Christmas on the ship will be very special. We'll be praying for you and your good work! Teresa Crowe (Marybeth's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful girl in front of a beautiful waterfall!! WOW!! I love waterfalls! That makes me think of all our good times in Banner Elk at the Falls. Sounds like the adventures are continuing in Africa...and this is only the beginning. You have many more wonderful months to do exploring. Love you girl! I feel like I'm there with you. Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete